Choose Language:

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board  
  Discordiin mars - click to chat!  
  Home Recent LoginRegisterHelpSearch Map Achievements Database Quizzes   

Voit piilottaa tämän mainoksen kirjautumalla sisään.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic
Taking offers on SNES Campus Challenge 1992 (not the repro) (Read 45389 times)
kralleman
NES-Retro Novice

Taking offers on SNES Campus Challenge 1992 (not the repro)
26.03.2016 at 03:03:43

Hi!
After considering this for quite some time I have decided to start taking offers on my SNES Campus Challenge 1992 cart.

A little bit of background
I have owned this cart for ten years and when I found it, no other copies had surfaced within the retrocollecting community. I bought the cart, along with a couple of prototypes, from a friend to a person who was working with the Swedish nationwide competition Nintendo On Tour '92 (a.k.a. Nintendo-SM). The seller had had it stashed away in his attic for quite some time when I bought it.

The cart was used in the finals of the Swedish competition and was likely lent out by NoA after the US competition (Campus Challenge 1992). It is believed that most copies were destroyed/disassembled/reused after the Campus Challenge and I guess the Swedish competition and the employee bringing it home was this particular copy's rescue. I have seen photage of carts with a similar layout used as prototype boards for games (DKC can be seen running from such a cart in the behind the scenes video on VHS that pops up on eBay from time to time). This copy is NTSC but the part of the cart that goes into the connector more resembles a SFC or PAL-cart (the shape is not identical to SFC/PAL though). In the attached pictures it is seen in a region modded PAL SNES.

Since I laid my hands on this copy, three more have surfaced although not all are identical. If I understood it correctly, these are the other copies (please correct me if I am wrong):
- One with a different title screen. The title says Nintendo Challenge instead of Campus Challenge and the background is black. I believe this is the copy that came out of the famous jollyrancher find, just a few months after I found my copy.
- One japanese. I don't know much about this one.
- One with the same title screen as mine but supposedly PAL. This one also originated from Sweden but has a slightly different story behind it. It came from a guy who was working with a system used in tv-shows in Sweden. Viewers would call in and then play SNES-games using the buttons on their phones. I'm not sure why this guy had it as the cart was not used during the show. Maybe they just used it for testing or something. I actually bought some of the games that had been used and they were regular SFC/SNES carts (although with wrong and handwritten labels).

Also there are the Powerfest 1994 carts that have a similar shape but differ entirely in terms of what games are on them.

This article on SNES Central was written by me and Evan a long time ago and it describes the details of the gameplay. To summarize, you get to play customized versions of Super Mario World, F-Zero and Pilotwings and you have roughly 7 minutes to gather as much points as possible. Similar to the NWC, the Campus Challenge 1991 and the Powerfest.

A reproduction cart was made by bunnyboy a couple of years back. This used a custom title screen that is not to be found on any of the original carts. The reproduction also does not have the same shape as the above mentioned carts.

Offers
This cart was found in Sweden and it is still located here. There was no NWC competition here so this cart is basically the closest we Scandinavian collector's get to a NWC of our own. Therefore I am posting this same post on a few different Scandinavian forums as well as NintendoAge (links to be added below). Hopefully, with the forum posts, I will be able to reach enough potential buyers to not have to put this up on eBay. Still, if offers are not good enough I might give that a try.

Now, I have already gotten some serious offers on this piece since I put this price check up on NintendoAge. However, I feel that a real FO-thread needs to be in place so that people know that it is actually for sale.

As far as shipping goes, I am prepared to travel some distance within Europe to finalize the deal in person and I am also prepared to have at least one beer with the buyer. Regardless of the location of the buyer, we would have to discuss the details shipping.

If you are seriously interested in making an offer or just have some questions regarding the cart, just send a PM or post in this thread. However, for offers to be considered, they would have to be in the five figure range (USD).

For me this is first and foremost a piece of Swedish and Scandinavian gaming history and as such I would be happy if a Scandinavian collector would buy it. If I get similar bids from collectors outisde and within Scandinavia, I would value the bids from the Scandinavian collectors a bit higher because of this.

Links to same posts on other forums:
Retro1.no
NintendoAge
sndb.se

IP Logged   Chrome 49.0.2623.87  Windows 7
kralleman
NES-Retro Novice

Re: Taking offers on SNES Campus Challenge 1992 (not the repro)
Reply #1 - 26.03.2016 at 03:05:15

Don't think I managed to get the attachments in place. Trying again...

-_036.JPG (2019 KB | )
-_036.JPG
campus_board1.JPG (159 KB | )
campus_board1.JPG
campus_cart.JPG (40 KB | )
campus_cart.JPG

IP Logged   Chrome 49.0.2623.87  Windows 7
Javeliin
NES-Retro Ad Infinitum

Helsinki - Finland

Reply #2 - 26.03.2016 at 03:45:30

Seriously though, pretty cool stuff.

I hope some bigwig from Finland steps up to represent. Smiley

Achievements: 16
Church of NES-RetroNot Too Old For This ShitBeer Mario Kart Tournament24h MarathonCat PeopleNES-Retro ChampionSocial AdventurerNES-Retro FailplayNES-Retro FailboatNES-Retro Failcabinbassokoira's Long Con VictimItem AcquiredClothed by NES-RetroInsiderTypical Apple UserDonated to AVGN
Javelean Hamiss javeliin javeliin Javeliin   IP Logged   Chrome 49.0.2623.87  Windows 7
kralleman
NES-Retro Novice

Reply #3 - 26.03.2016 at 18:20:53

Thanks! I hope so too! Smiley There are a couple of interesting offers on the table, unfortunately nothing interesting enough from Scandinavian collectors yet.

IP Logged   Chrome 49.0.2623.91  Android 5.1.1
kralleman
NES-Retro Novice

Reply #4 - 10.06.2016 at 17:47:31

I received a couple of interesting offers but they did not quite reach the price I had in mind. So I thought I'd better disclose my price. The BIN for this item is 15k USD. I am in no desperate need of money so if there is no interest, I will just keep it in my collection.

IP Logged   Chrome 51.0.2704.79  Mac OS X
kralleman
NES-Retro Novice

Reply #5 - 12.08.2016 at 16:37:24

Sold!

IP Logged   Chrome 52.0.2743.116  Mac OS X
Radikus
NES-Retro Administrator

'Nuff Said!

Helsinki - Finland

Live: Radikus
PSN: Radikus
NNID: Radikus

Reply #6 - 12.08.2016 at 19:57:36

kralleman wrote on 12.08.2016 at 16:37:24:
Sold!

How much did you get?

Achievements: 20
Beersider24h MarathonHC Movie CollectorCat PeopleNES-Retro ChampionSocial AdventurerAchievement ArtistNot Too Old For This ShitChurch of NES-RetroRetro Dealerbassokoira's Long Con VictimKeyboard VeteranClothed by NES-RetroItem AcquiredFirst Successful SaleTypical Apple UserBeer Mario Kart TournamentNES-Retro FailboatMedal of HonorDonated to AVGN

I used to think that my life was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
WWW 47361 Radikus Radikus Radikus 4 ur9969391 Radikus Radikus Rad1kus   IP Logged   Safari 9.0  Mac OS X
kralleman
NES-Retro Novice

Reply #7 - 13.08.2016 at 16:12:32

The buyer wanted to keep this a secret. Anyway it was a price that we both were happy with Smiley

IP Logged   Chrome 52.0.2743.116  Mac OS X
Radikus
NES-Retro Administrator

'Nuff Said!

Helsinki - Finland

Live: Radikus
PSN: Radikus
NNID: Radikus

Reply #8 - 13.08.2016 at 19:30:14

kralleman wrote on 13.08.2016 at 16:12:32:
The buyer wanted to keep this a secret. Anyway it was a price that we both were happy with Smiley

Okay.

Did it stay in Sweden?

Achievements: 20
Beersider24h MarathonHC Movie CollectorCat PeopleNES-Retro ChampionSocial AdventurerAchievement ArtistNot Too Old For This ShitChurch of NES-RetroRetro Dealerbassokoira's Long Con VictimKeyboard VeteranClothed by NES-RetroItem AcquiredFirst Successful SaleTypical Apple UserBeer Mario Kart TournamentNES-Retro FailboatMedal of HonorDonated to AVGN

I used to think that my life was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
WWW 47361 Radikus Radikus Radikus 4 ur9969391 Radikus Radikus Rad1kus   IP Logged   Safari 9.0  iOS 9.3.4
viaton
NES-Retro Ad Infinitum
Rodeo Clown

Join the Circus!

Helsinki - Finland

Reply #9 - 13.08.2016 at 21:58:00

Americano.

Achievements: 6
Item AcquiredKeyboard VeteranTypical Apple UserInsiderMedal of HonorDonated to AVGN

Loving Video Games...
viaton   IP Logged   Safari 9.0  iOS 9.3.4
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic